In a message from Birchard Kelley, Troop 509 Scoutmaster….
Memorial Day (May 25th) is rapidly approaching. It is a time we honor those who perished in the defense of our country and other countries Americans helped in their pursuit of freedom. As Scouter’s and Scouting families, it is an honor we are some of the first people veterans groups look to for assistance during this national event. As an American, it is my opinion, Memorial Day is the most important holiday we have. If not for those who sacrificed, we would not be enjoying the 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and many other national holidays.
Below are Memorial Day events being held in Warrenton. If there are events being held in your area, I highly encourage your Scouter attend.
1. Saturday May 23 at 9:30 AM, assist the American Legion in putting out Crosses and Flags at Ocean View Cemetery.
2. Monday May 25 at 11:00 AM is the Fort Stevens Memorial Ceremony sponsored by the Warrenton VFW. Scouts can help by handing out programs, and Austin Stein from Troop 509 will be performing Taps. (They fire a Civil War era type cannon at this event which is really cool.)
3. Monday May 25 at 11:00 AM is the Ocean View Cemetery Memorial Ceremony sponsored by the Astoria American Legion. Scouts will be needed to present the BSA memorial wreath and David Kelley (former Troop 509 Scout) will be playing Taps.
4. Monday May 25 at 12:30 is the Flag Changing Ceremony at the Warrenton Post Office. Scouts will be needed to hand out programs, assist veterans in replacing the flags, and Austin Stein from Troop 509 will be performing Taps.
5. Monday May 25 at 5:00 PM, assist the American Legion in picking up the flags and crosses at Ocean View Cemetery.